Migraines are often thought of as simply a “bad headache.” However, contrary to this common belief, they’re not. A migraine is comprised of multiple neurological symptoms – usually including a severe throbbing, and persistent pain on one side of the head. Migraine attacks can last from 4 hours, to as long as 72 hours.
You Probably Know More Sufferers Than You May Be Aware Of:
- Migraines are the 3rd most prevalent neurological condition in the world
- 12% of the US population (including 10% of children) suffer from migraines
- Migraines are often hereditary
- 18% of American women fall victim to migraines (compared to 6% of men)
Migraines Can be really, really debilitating
- Migraines are the 6th most disabling illness in the world (Migraine Research Foundation)
- 10% of sufferers have chronic migraine, (15+ migraine days per month)
- 90% of sufferers cannot work or function normally during their migraines
Migraines are Still Largely a Medical mystery
- More than half of all sufferers are never diagnosed with migraines
- Many sufferers never seek medical attention for their pain
- Only 4% of migraine sufferers ever seek a headache specialist
Despite migraines still being a medical mystery, there are new treatments being investigated. Rochester Clinical Research is at the forefront of this research. Check out the studies below and call 288-0890 to see if you qualify.