Rochester Clinical Research offers accessible hereditary cancer testing for eligible patients based on personal and family histories. This is NOT a paid study but a service for our community members.
Empower is a genetic test for those who want to know more about their risk of developing cancer, why it might be common in their family, or want to inform treatment options following a cancer diagnosis.
Empower tests up to 53 genes associated with risk for common hereditary cancers using blood or saliva samples. Test results are available within 3 weeks. Our PA Sarah Geno will review the results and any possible recommended health care changes, with you and your provider.
5-10% of all cancer mutations are due to an inherited mutation.
Approximately 5 to 10 percent of all cancers can be attributed to inherited variants or mutations. Patterns of cancer can be seen in families where people have these mutations. If you are concerned about cancer patterns in your family, genetic testing can give you more information.
Know your risk for hereditary cancer.
When to consider testing:
- Personal or family history of cancer at age 50 or younger
- Personal or family history of ovarian, male breast, or pancreatic cancer
- Multiple Cancers or tumors on the same side of the family
- You are concerned about personal or family history of cancer
The Empower Hereditary Cancer Test
The Empower Hereditary Cancer Test may help you understand why your cancer developed and what treatment options are available to you. This information can help you make informed decisions, in partnership with your provider, about your therapy and surveillance options. This knowledge can help you talk to your family members about their cancer risks.
Empower screens for up to 53 genes associated with increased risk for common hereditary cancers. Your healthcare provider can discuss the available options and help to recommend the right panel for you. Our Empower multi-cancer panel includes 40 commonly screened-for genes associated with 8 cancer types.
The benefits of knowing your results
- Your physician may adjust your treatment plan to include therapies that could be more effective for you
- You may be eligible for certain clinical trials
- Your physician may tailor your medical management plan to mitigate secondary cancer risks
- You can educate you family members on their risk, testing options, and risk of passing mutations to their children
Please note, This is NOT a paid study but a service for our community members. Testing is run through your medical insurance and is covered in full the majority of the time. If not, the maximum out of pocket is $249 and further financial assistance may be available through Natera.
Ready to take the next step?
Use the QR code image or visit the Empower site here to see if you qualify and get a cost estimate.
Visit the Natera Empower site here for more information