About The Study:
Atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) is a significant health issue worldwide. Multiple studies show that LDL-C, often called ‘bad’ cholesterol, plays a role in causing ASCVD. The amount of LDL-C over time influences your risk. We know that PCSK9 ( a protein that helps regulate cholesterol levels) is a target for reducing LDL-C and lowering ASCVD risk. Right now, there are only injectable PCSK9 inhibitors available. This study aims to test a new oral treatment option.
In this study, there is a 50% chance you will receive the investigational study drug or placebo. The goal of this study drug is to reduce major adverse cardiovascular events in participants at high cardiovascular risk. The study will last approximately 6 years long and include 9 or more office visits. There will also be 3 or more telephone calls throughout the duration of the study.
Study-related care is available to participants at no cost and health insurance is not required nor needed. If you qualify, you will be compensated $150 per office visit and $50 per telephone call.
- In order to qualify, you must meet ONE of these parameters, not all
- Are you 18 years or older with a history of a major ASCVD event such as heart attack, stroke, or arterial revascularization (ex. Carotid, lower extremity)
- Are you 50 years or older with known underlying coronary, cerebrovascular, or peripheral artery disease
- Are you 60 years or older with diabetes with 1 of the following: daily insulin use, diabetic kidney disease, diagnosed with diabetes at least 10 years ago
- Are you 60 or older with multiple risk factors: 1. hypertension for 10 yrs or longer OR currently taking 2 or more BP medications. 2. High cholesterol 3. Active smoker
- Men who are 70 or older and Women who are 75 and older who have 2 risk factors: High blood pressure for at least 10 yrs or currently taking at least 2 BP meds, high cholesterol or active smoking
- You will need to provide your medical records (either by mychart or by requesting from your doctor) to show proof of events.
- *Please note, many other qualifications apply